Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My Trip to the Pumpkin Patch


It is my favorite season, autumn! Do you like seeing the colorful foliage in the trees? Do you think apple picking is fun? Although I love to go pick apples at an orchard, my favorite part of fall is going to the pumpkin patch! The first thing I do is walk away from the crowd of chaotic people to an area with plenty of orange pumpkins. There are a variety of them at the patch; some are gigantic while others are petite. Some are plump while others are slender. My favorites are round but some can be square. I love looking for the perfect pumpkin!

Vocabulary
colorful:(adj) someone or something possessing many colors
chaotic:(adj) the state of complete confusion
orange: (adj) a color
gigantic: (adj) a very large size
petite:(adj) a small build
plump:(adj) a full rounded shape
slender:(adj) something or someone that is thin
round:(adj)  shaped like a circle
square: (adj)shaped like a square
perfect:(adj)having desirable elements

Adjective Activity
Adjectives are words that describe a noun. In the paragraph above, most of the adjectives describe pumpkins. This time, it's your turn to describe something! Think of your favorite fall activity and describe it using at least 5 adjectives.

Mad-Libs Activity
A: Brainstorm and write down adjectives:
1. description adjective ______________
2. same adjective as #1________________
3. color adjective__________________
4. size adjective__________________
5. temperature adjective_________________
6. smell adjective_______________
7. taste adjective________________
8. taste adjective__________________
9. flavor adjective___________________
10. state of being adjective___________

B: Fill in the adjectives in the correct spaces.
C: Read and enjoy your work!
There are many 1.__________ pumpkins to pick. My 2.___________ would be a(n) 3.__________ pumpkin. Among all of those pumpkins, I'm more partial to 4. ____________ones.  Once I pick the pumpkin I explore the rest of the pumpkin patch.  

I see the patch sells 5._____________ corn on the cob. It smells so 6._____________. It tastes even better too! The 7._____________ flavor makes me want to grow my own corn!

How can I leave without getting a cup of 8.______________ apple cider? The 9.______________ flavor of cinnamon makes it taste like autumn in a cup.  I don't think there is anything better than a fresh-pressed cider.  

Overall today has been a(n) 10.______________ day at the pumpkin patch!

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    LOVE your mad libs activity! Fun way to get your students to see how the adjectives they just wrote in the lines above, could be integrated into the story with the fill in the blanks. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice activities Ashley! The only thing I would add to this is the Vocab words in a list form and then put the definitions for the lower level ELL's. Nice work otherwise :) I love fall too

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great selection of adectives. I really like the activities.

    ReplyDelete