Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sing Some Jazzy Prepositions
"Fly Me to the Moon"
By: Frank Sinatra
Image result for frank sinatra
Step 1: Highlight the link below and click "Open URL"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hxibHJOE5E
Step 2: Reread the lyrics.  Pay attention to the bolded words- they are prepositions.

Fly me to the moon.
Let me play among the stars.
Let me see what spring is like,
On a-Jupiter and Mars.
In other words, hold my hand.
In other words, baby, kiss me.
Fill my heart with song.
And let me sing forever more.
You are all I long for,
All I worship and adore.
In other words, please be true.
In other words, I love you.
Fill my heart with song.
Let me sing forever more.
You are all I long for,
All I worship and adore.
In other words, please be true.
In other words, in other words,
I love you.

Prepositional Vocabulary
to: shows direction
among: surrounded by, in company of
like: being similar to
with: possessing something
for: indicate a goal

Grammar Point: Prepositions
Did you notice what the bolded words do to the sentences? Prepositions like these connect connect the noun in the sentence to the verb in the sentence.  
For example, fly me to the moon. Where are you flying? To the Moon.
Notice- If the sentence was: fly me around the moon, the sentence would have a different meaning.
Use all of these prepositional vocabulary terms to create your own sentences.

Fix the Song Title
Directions: Choose the most accurate preposition for the song title to make sense.
HINT: Use this Youtube video for extra assistance: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=-X87MHu8rhQ

1. "Turn the Beat around/along " - Gloria Estefan
2. "Somewhere over/under the Rainbow"- Howard Arlen 

3. "Island on/in The Sun"- Weezer 

4. "In/Of My Life"- The Beatles 

5. "Crazy in/into Love"- Beyonce 

6. "Living on/up A Prayer"- Bon Jovi

7. "Boulevard by/of Broken Dreams"- Green Day

8. "Dreaming since/of You"- Selena

9. "Come Away from/with Me"- Norah Jones

10. "Through/Under the Sea"- Disney's The Little Mermaid

3 comments:

  1. First of all, classic song! Love me some Frank.
    I really enjoyed how you chose to highlight prepositions here. You have a very creative way of introducing this topic that is relatable to our culture. What's more fun than combining learning with music? Using song titles to address proper usage of prepositions is a great way for any student to gain a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I am a huge Sinatra fan so I was definitely engaged in this post. But I really loved the activity where we had to understand the title of the song while using the correct grammar for each sentence. I think that your activity was really engaging for all ages whether you enjoy music or not. Great job Ashley! Now I have to listen to some Sinatra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post about Sinatra! My mother saw him sing when he was a teenager. She swooned. I prefer Bing.

    I love the use of songs in your lesson. I think that music is such a universal element of life and as such is quite compelling for learners.

    ReplyDelete