Friday, November 4, 2016

My Favorite Noun

What is your favorite noun?  My favorite noun is the beach. It is a place where land meets the sea.  Long Islanders are lucky because the beach surrounds the ends of the island.  On the South Shore, the waves of the Atlantic Ocean crash on the beach.  On the North Shore, the beach meets with the calm Long Island Sound.  My favorite beach to go to is Dolphin Beach in Hampton Bays.  When I go to the beach I bring a towel, sunglasses, and of course, sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun's hot rays.  I love swimming in the blue waves and riding them into shore. Sometimes, I bring out a paddle board and take it far into the ocean and look for fish.  I am very lucky to live close to the beach, I can walk to it from my house! What is your favorite noun?
Image result for long island beach pictures
Grammar Questions:

1. What is a noun? ______________________________
2. Why is "beach" a noun? _________________________
3. Based on your answer to Question 1, name one of your favorite nouns: ____________________

Grammar Point
A noun is a person, place, or thing.  "Beach" is a noun because it is a place.  There are two types of nouns: common nouns and proper nouns.  A common noun is a general word to describe a person, place, or thing.  Examples of common nouns are: boy, store, candy. A proper noun is the specific name of a noun.  Examples of this are: John (name of a person), Stop and Shop (name of a place), Snickers bar (name of a candy).  Take the bolded words from the reading and write them in the correct categories below.


Common Noun:






Proper Noun:





Nouns are Everywhere



Directions: Label three common nouns and three proper nouns.  Make sure that one of your proper nouns is a place.  Create one sentence about each noun you chose.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post that I can most definitely relate to! I also love all of the activities you used for your students to really understand nouns, especially the activity where your students have to find nouns in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beach entry and the great activities and visuals!

    ReplyDelete